Thursday, September 24, 2015

Atomic Structure Quiz

The quiz I took on Wednesday was not difficult in the first section of average atomic mass calculations and isotope identification, but it was difficult in the section where I had to match the scientists with their contributions and findings about the structure of an atom. I mixed up my scientist names and it really messed up my answers. I did well on all my other sections, but I will need to study up on the scientists before the next quiz or test.


This is J.J. Thompson's "plum pudding model". He thought that an atom consisted of a spherical cloud of positive charges with electrons evenly distributed throughout. This is later proved to be wrong by Rutherford's gold foil experiment.




.
This is Rutherford's gold foil experiment where he discovered that there is a small, dense positively charged nucleus (I didn't know this on the test and got it wrong haha).

6 comments:

  1. I also messed up on the matching part too! I didn't realize we could use more than one answer. Otherwise, I liked how you added the pictures and described them really well, it's a short and simple way to remember who did what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you set this up! It makes it so much easier to differentiate between these two people! I love how the captions to the pictures explains everything more in depth! The pictures you put up also help me visualize a difference between these two people also! Great job on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you used pictures to help explain the models more. It was pretty confusing to try to remember them all at first. The matching part was the hardest for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also found it hard to match the scientist with their respective theories and experiments. To make things easier, I found it helpful to write out a time line, then place pictures along the way to represent each concept. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is meant by spherical cloud of +ve charge

    ReplyDelete